The Ministry of Foreign Affairs is responsible for formulating and implementing Nepal’s foreign policy. Strengthening Nepal’s bilateral, regional and multilateral relations, projecting and promoting Nepal’s image in international arena, promoting Nepal’s development diplomacy, protecting the rights and interests of Nepalis living abroad are the key tasks of the Ministry. It also provides passport and consular services and handles protocol matters. In fulfilling its responsibilities, the Ministry coordinates with all relevant government agencies, Nepali missions abroad as well as diplomatic missions and international organisations accredited to Nepal. It also consults private sector and non-governmental organisations on policy as well as implementation related matters within its jurisdiction.
Currently, there are 40 Nepali diplomatic missions abroad – 30 Embassies, 3 Permanent Missions and 7 Consulates General.
Protection and promotion of national interest of Nepal within the overall framework of foreign policy through effective conduct of diplomacy
To strengthen close, cordial and friendly relations with immediate neighbors, South Asian countries, major powers and other countries; play an active role in the United Nations, and other international and regional organizations and forums; to safeguard and promote rights and interests of Nepali nationals living abroad; and to enhance Nepal’s image in international arena
Role and Functions of the Ministry
- Formulation and implementation of Nepal’s foreign policy;
- Maintenance and promotion of friendly relations with foreign countries;
- Representation of Nepal in foreign countries and international forums;
- Projection and promotion of Nepal’s image in foreign countries;
- Protection and promotion of rights, interests and security of Nepali nationals living abroad;
- Coordination of incoming and outgoing high level visits;
- Conduct of development diplomacy;
- Engagement with United Nations and other international and regional organizations;
- Coordination with Nepali Missions abroad and foreign diplomatic missions in Nepal;
- Negotiations and agreements with foreign governments and at regional and multilateral forums;
- Providing policy inputs and reporting on matters of national interest to competent authorities of Nepal;
- Operation of Nepal Foreign Service;
- Delivery of passport and consular services;
- Dealing with Non-resident Nepali (NRN) affairs;
- Handling protocol matters;
- Management of diplomatic immunities and privileges;
- Providing consular services to foreign nationals.